- 1 (12 ounce) package dried udon noodles
- 8 cups chicken stock (low sodium canned or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup trimmed snow peas, sliced 1/2-inch on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced small brown-button mushroom
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion (white and light green parts only)
1. Cook the udon noodles according to the package directions; drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil; decrease heat to medium and add in the ginger and carrots.
3. Cook until the carrots are crisp-tender, 1-2 minutes.
4. Add in the snow peas and cook until slightly tender but still bright green, about 1 minute.
5. Add the mushrooms, cook for 30 minutes, and remove from heat.
6. Place the miso on a medium bowl and add a ladleful of hot broth.
7. Whisk until the miso is completely dissolved, then stir the mixture back into the soup.
8. Do not let the soup come to a boil, or the mixo will lose some of its flavor.
9. Taste the soup for saltiness and add soy sauce to taste.
10. Stir in the scallions.
11. With tongs, place noodles in each soup bowl (allowing 3/4 cup for 6 servings, 1 1/4 cups for 4 servings).
12. Ladle in the soup and serve hot.